Note: This will be an extended discussion, 400–500 words, designed to help you think through how to conduct play therapy.
For this discussion, you will focus on The Case of Luis that was presented in Unit 2. First, watch the short Video Role-Play media depicting five key play therapy skills in the Unit 6 Studies. Then, review The Case of Luis and the discussion instructions that follow:
Luis is in the fourth grade. His mother is concerned that he may need counseling because he has not grown out of a fear he has had since he was young that is now interfering with developing peer friendships. Luis is afraid of vomiting in a public place. As you speak with him, you learn that when he was in kindergarten, he once got upset and cried so much that he vomited. His teacher was not particularly sympathetic and his parents could not be reached for a while, so he spent several hours with soiled clothes, feeling very ashamed and embarrassed. Subsequently, he became fearful that he might vomit again, with no reason or warning. His behaviors have become more restricted over the years, and now he will not eat if his family goes out to dinner because he fears the food might make him sick. He eats very little at school—just a few foods that he has decided are safe—and his peers have begun to tease him. If he eats something and starts worrying about vomiting, he soon begins to feel sick and often does vomit. So he has begun avoiding more and more social occasions; he declines invitations to birthday parties and sleepovers because he does not want to refuse to eat (and risk being teased) but he is afraid that he will vomit if he does eat. His mother says she has always had trouble with a sensitive stomach so she is very sympathetic toward Luis’s fears. However, Luis’s pediatrician says he can find no medical problem with Luis.
To complete this discussion:
· Assume that you are the counselor for Luis and that you are going to engage in individual play therapy with him.
· Consider the four moments, listed below, in therapy and create a hypothetical transcript of your interaction with Luis for each of the four moments in therapy demonstrating the key play therapy skills in the Video Role Plays in this unit. Use the Counseling Transcript Template, linked in Resources (which you also used in the Unit 2 discussion: Practice Child Counseling Skills) to present your transcript. Be sure to label and provide a rationale for the play therapy skills you use. As the counselor, your transcript should demonstrate these foundational play therapy skills:
o Structuring the beginning of the session.
o Reflecting and empathic listening.
o Therapeutic limit setting.
Moment 1: Luis and his mother show up for his first session and you have just completed the informed consent process.
Moment 2: Luis begins to draw a picture.
Moment 3: Luis picks up a stuffed animal and begins to rock it in his arms.
Moment 4: Luis picks up a crayon or toy, and breaks it while watching to see what you would do.
Follow these instructions to create your hypothetical transcript with your responses to these four moments:
1. Counseling Transcripts should have three columns .
1. The left-most column designates who was speaking –the client or the counselor.
2. The center column depicts what was said.
3. The third column labels the skill that the counselor used and the counselor’s intentions [in brackets].
4. The skill should come from the list of Universal Counseling Skills in Counseling Children, pages 84–85.
5. The intention should apply one of the Purposes listed in the text’s table to the interaction with the client.
2. Each talk turn should be on its own row.
3. You may use the template, linked in Resources, after deleting the instructions, or create your own form that meets Specifications 1 and 2. Add more rows if necessary.
4. Your transcript should be no more than two pages.
In addition to the transcript, provide an initial response to briefly address the following:
· Which skills were easiest for you to use? Which were the hardest?
· What challenges would you anticipate in using play therapy in your future work as a counselor?
· How might culture and personal beliefs come into play when working with a child client in play therapy?
In addition to the above, please describe two play therapy techniques that you did NOT use and how you could implement them in play therapy. Use the first person voice when describing your skills and reactions. Use the third person to support your analyses with references from course readings. Cite at least two sources to support your thoughts in this post.
· Discussion Participation Scoring Guide.
· Play Therapy Resources Portal.
· Counseling Transcript Template. Your transcript should be no more than 2 pages long.
[purpose and counselor intentions]
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level or professional level, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension.A 100% refund is guaranteed.
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text.
Tutorpro support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
At Tutorpro, we have top rated masters and PhD writers who will help you tacke that homework and score A+ grade. Tutorpro services covers all levels of education : high school, college, university undergraduate, masters and PhD academic level.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Tutorpro academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.