Health Education Teaching Activity
The purpose of this activity is to help you understand the process of health teaching of patients/clients by engaging in effective assessment; identification of learning needs/issues associated with the learning experience; planning and implementing interventions and evaluating the effectiveness of interventions with a target client (using a family member or friend).
Note that this clinical activity is meant to facilitate the application of course content about health education/teaching—a common and significant Public Health intervention. Most clinical experiences in the Community/Population Health course typically involve some type of client contact which includes formal or informal teaching of minor to complex content.
Using course content sources at minimum, you will be able to:
1. Construct a health teaching/lesson plan for a single client, based on the following:
· a thorough assessment of a client’s learning needs and barriers/facilitators of their learning,
· appropriate selection of relevant and effective teaching/learning strategies, and
· application of concepts using a common health promotion model and/or learning theory.
2. Demonstrate implementation of the plan in video format.
3. Evaluate the success of implementing the plan.
4. Document this activity in a formal written paper.
This activity aligns with several of the course outcomes as stated below:
1. Demonstrate critical thinking through analysis and interpretation of assessment data and the development of individualized health education solutions.
2. Demonstrate the use of culturally appropriate and effective communication techniques.
Directions for parts 1-4 of this assignment:
Part 1: Preparation:
· Review Course Lecture PPTS and readings for Chapter 5: Frameworks for Health Promotion, Disease Prevention and Risk Reduction.
· Review the “Diabetes: Teaching Patients Self-Care” Module by Tracey Long RN, PhD, APRN (see attachment in Bright Space).
· Complete the Pre-Brief activity questions
Part 2: Design a teaching module to help educate a client about a health-related topic.
A. Complete this grid for your education session:
|Client: Describe client (no names please): Age, gender, health risk-factors|
|Learning Objectives *||Content Outline||Strategies ** & Materials***||Evaluation
Was the learning objective met? If not, why? Suggestions for future?
* At least 2 objectives are required. What do you want your client to know by the end of your teaching? (Objectives can be cognitive, affective and/or psychomotor in type – usually a combination is best). Note that achievement of the objective is part of the Evaluation column.
** What strategies did you plan to use to facilitate your client’s learning? Visuals? Demo?
*** Materials like visuals used, handouts, etc. can be appended to this paper
[Feel free to adjust column widths as needed]
B: Summarize your teaching plan in an APA formatted word document, 3-4-pages (not including the reference page and appendices)
Sections of the Paper (copy bolded titles here as subheadings in your paper to enhance organization and clarity).
· The Client: Describe the client (initials only), including:
· at least 3 demographics that are related to learning (e.g. age, language etc);
· any “red flags” for low health literacy (for this exercise, it will be useful to assume low health literacy for your client)
· any contributory/relevant health history (e.g. physical or cognitive limitations)
· Analysis of Learning Needs: Including:
· clearly identify the topic of focus for the plan
· barriers to learning that need to be considered (e.g. developmental stage, special learning needs)
· individual learning style(s)
· facilitators of learning (e.g. willingness to learn; education level etc)
· Teaching/Lesson Plan: This section will be written in narrative format as a summary of the teaching plan in table format (see above).
· Application of a Behavior Model/Theory. Select ONE “Behavior Model/Theory” cited in your textbook or the pre-briefing material. (An example would be the Health Belief Model or one of the Learning Theories). Consider how this model/theory may apply/did apply to this teaching activity? Comment in at least 2 paragraphs.
· Reference list. Format in APA. Include any class content you used.
· Appendices. Append any visuals you used during your teaching session (links are ok).
Part 3: Implementation of the Teaching Plan (Videotape)
Create a short (7 to 10 minute) video of your Plan-based teaching session with your client. It should have adequate light and sound quality to allow for evaluation by your instructor. Your session may be shared among your clinical group as well.
Avoid conducting a monologue. There must be some evidence of your interaction with the client using various methods and materials other than simply talking.
Please post the tape to the appropriate folder under ASSIGNMENTS in the course shell. Clearly label it with your name and that it’s a health education session. If it’s a large file, it needs to be compressed, so consult w/ IT if you don’t know how to do this or if you are having any other issues.
Parts 1-3 to be completed first.
Part 4: Evaluation of the Teaching Plan
· Evaluation: How do I know your client learned anything?
· Were stated objectives met? Provide some detail as to how you know the objective was met (for example, did the client repeat back the information to you (teach-back method?) or do a return demonstration? If the objective was NOT met, reflect on why it was not and propose a different approach.
· Summary Reflect on this activity. Include at least 1 paragraphs of comments that include a balanced assessment of how things went!
Part 4 to be completed at the end of the term.
Hints for Success!
Teaching well takes time! Do NOT leave this assignment to the last minute!!
Choose a topic with your client that’s fairly simple, but not too simple-like hand hygiene! This activity is mostly about seeing how you engage in teaching based on thoughtful consideration, including application of class content pertaining to effective health education. Recall that health education is one of many significant primary or tertiary prevention strategies in Public Health. So, this is NOT about detailed content about a complex medical problem as much!
See grading rubric below:
Grading Rubric_Health Education Activity
Criteria graded on a 4-point scale reflect the following distribution: 0=no response provided; 1=poor response; 2 =adequate response; 3=good response; 4=excellent response..
|Part 1: Preparation|
|Pre-Briefing Activity completion
· On time completion/submission (2)
· All questions addressed thoroughly (8)
|Part 2: A. Teaching Plan (Table Format)|
|Plan in Table Format
· At least two objectives were noted. (2)
· Objectives were specific and relevant to the topic chosen (2)
· Content matched the objectives (2)
· Content included some details to be covered during the videotaped session (2)
· Active teaching-learning strategies were named and some detail about how they would be used during the teaching session was included (2)
· An evaluation of whether each objective was met was noted (yes/no). Note that how each was met (or not) will be described in more detail in the narrative section of this paper. described. (2)
|Part 2: B. Narrative Format|
|The CLIENT was described according to:
· demographics that are related to learning (2)
· any “red flags” for low health literacy (4)
· any contributory/relevant health history (4)
|The client’s LEARNING NEEDS were identified and analyzed in a comprehensive way, including assessment of his/her:
· Developmental state/stage (2)
· Special learning needs and/or other barriers to learning (4)
· Dominant or preferred learning style (1)
· Facilitators of learning (2)
ONE health-care topic was clearly selected as the focus for the teaching plan and taping. (1)
|The TEACHING/LESSON PLAN SUMMARY
· All components of the tabular plan were well summarized (NOTE: This narrative should follow the tabular plan closely)
· Objectives (2)
· Content (4)
· Teaching Materials/Methods (4)
· Evaluation (4)
|A BEHAVIOR MODEL/THEORY was Applied to the Teaching Activity.
· In at least two paragraphs (2), a single model/theory was considered in terms of how it applied to this activity (2).
|Part 3: B. Implementation of Teaching Plan (Videotape)|
|The VIDEOTAPE (with adequate sight and sound for evaluation purposes) included:
· An introduction of self and client (first name only) and the reason for the session was spoken clearly and succinctly (1)
· The actual teaching session:
· Reflected the Teaching/Lesson Plan (content and materials/methods) well. (2)
· Included content that was accurate and organized well. (2)
· Showed that the student spoke clearly and was respectful. (1)
· Showed that the student addressed the client’s questions and other behaviors appropriately. (2)
· Showed that the student used visuals and/or other relevant materials during the session to enhance his/her verbal commentary. (2)
· Provided evidence that the client understood the teaching was emphasized. (2)
· Wrap-up with the client. (1)
The videotape was about 10 (+/_ 3) minutes in length. (2)
|The REFERENCE LIST:
· included at least two references other than the course textbook or Unit 2 ppt content (2)
· Note that references must be written in proper APA format (2) and match in-text citations (1)
|Your WRITING demonstrated:
· organization according to the directions (2)
· overall clarity of thought (2)
· fewer than 2 unique errors of basic writing mechanics (including spelling, grammar, punctuation, sentence and paragraph structure) (one point deducted from six total for more than 2 unique writing errors) (6)
|Parts 1-3 due by Sunday 8/2/2020|
|Part 4: Evaluation of the Teaching Plan|
· In at least one paragraph (1) state whether objectives were met or unmet (2)
· If unmet, suggest improvements (2)
· Reflect on this activity, including the videotaped session. Include at least 1 paragraphs of comments that include a balanced assessment of how things went!
|Part 4 due by Sunday 8/23/2020|
*Note that instructors have the option of embedding points/comments in the word doc instead.
Points may be given in fractions such as 0.5.
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level or professional level, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension.A 100% refund is guaranteed.
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text.
Tutorpro support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Tutorpro Homework Help Services
At Tutorpro, we have top rated masters and PhD writers who will help you tacke that homework and score A+ grade. Tutorpro services covers all levels of education : high school, college, university undergraduate, masters and PhD academic level.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Tutorpro academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.