you will write a short (250-400 word) “review” of the performance, which should include a critique of the production elements such as costuming, props, staging, and how these parts worked together as a whole. The review should also include the plot of the play and if it were executed successfully.
performance of Young Jean Lee’s Theater :
– Lear (2010)
*NOTE: Be sure to watch the play’s recording in full screen.
Writing a Play Review
Remember: The point of a play review is to critique a play, not just to describe it! If you simply describe the plot, then you will not receive a very good grade. Thus, you need to have an overall thesis, just like in a regular essay. In this case, your thesis will be related to whether you thought the play was a good interpretation or well-executed version of the play. You then need to provide points throughout the review to support your thesis.
The following questions will allow you to think about some elements of the play that you can critique. They are divided by different aspects of the play.
In what theatre, if any, was the play performed in?
When was the play originally performed? When did you see the play?
What play did you see?
Who was the author?
Script: Try to identify the following:
– What was the major conflict, dramatic question, or unifying theme?
– What was the dominant tone of the play? Serious? Comic? Ironic? Explain.
Directing: Try to comment on the following:
– Was there an identifiable production concept, unifying metaphor, or interpretational approach? If so, what was it and how was it manifested in the production?
– Were all of the elements of the production compatible and coordinated? Explain.
– If not, what seemed out of place or inadequately integrated with the rest?
Acting: Choose at least one actor to comment on in some depth:
(Please spell actor/character’s names correctly.)
– Were some actors inadequate to their roles? In what ways?
– Were some actors especially effective? If so, how and with what effect?
– Were the actors audible? Understandable?
– Were there any special skills (such as dancing, singing, fencing, playing a musical instrument) required of any of the actors? If so, how effectively were the demands met?
Scenic Design: Try to comment on the following:
– In what type of performance space was the production staged?
– What characteristics did the scenery embody? What did the scenery convey about the play?
– How did the scenery contribute (or fail to contribute) to the total production?
– What would have been lost if the scenery had been eliminated?
Costume Design and Makeup: Try to comment on the following:
– Were there any special costume needs? (historical, fantasy? etc.) If so, how well were they handled?
– Were there any special makeup needs? (Same as above) If so, how well were they handled?
– Overall, how did costumes and makeup contribute (or fail to contribute) to the total production?
Lighting Design and Sound: Try to comment on the following:
– Were there any special lighting or sound needs? If so, how well was it executed?
– Overall, how did lighting and sound contribute (or fail to contribute) to the production concept and the total production?
– What was your overall impression of the performance?
– What was your overall impression of the experience?
– Any other final thoughts?
Your review will be graded based on the following criterium:
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level or professional level, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension.A 100% refund is guaranteed.
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text.
Tutorpro support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
At Tutorpro, we have top rated masters and PhD writers who will help you tacke that homework and score A+ grade. Tutorpro services covers all levels of education : high school, college, university undergraduate, masters and PhD academic level.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Tutorpro academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.