University of Phoenix Material
Integumentary System Lab – Week Five
The integumentary system consists of skin, hair, nails, and nerves. As you learn about the various diseases that affect the integumentary system, it is important for you to understand the structures that can be affected by disease. Complete this lab to become familiar with a healthy system and to identify diseases related to the skin.
PART ONE: basic functions
Provide brief answers to the following questions to help you get acquainted with the basic functions of a healthy integumentary system. Refer to Ch. 19 in Microbiology: Principles and Explorations.
1. How does the integumentary system prevent disease?
2. How do sweat, sebaceous (oil), and mucus secretions help prevent disease?
3. Which types of bacteria are considered normal skin microflora?
4. Suppose a sample of bacteria was taken from your skin. If you were to perform a Gram stain on the sample, what is the likely Gram reaction – positive or negative? Explain your answer.
PART two: basic structures
Identify the selected integumentary system structures in the following diagram:
PART three: investigate and apply
Access the Public Diseases & Conditions A-Z Index on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at http://www.cdc.gov/DiseasesConditions/. Research one microbe-related skin disease (excluding sexually transmitted diseases) and complete the following activity.
Read the information on the CDC site and provide a brief, one- to two-paragraph summary of the skin condition. Include the following in your description:
· The skin condition
· The microbe causing the condition
· Which structures of the integumentary system are affected—Use one or more structures included in Part Two.
· Who is at risk
· How serious the disease is
[Type your paragraph in the space below]
SCI250 Week 5 Chapter 19 Integumentary System Quiz – Test Bank
Section: Multiple Choice
1. The majority of the microorganisms on the surface of the human skin are ________
approximately equal numbers of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria.
2. The outer layer of the skin is the _________ while the deeper layer is the _________
3. A massive lesion caused by the spread of Staphylococcus aureus infection (often on the neck and upper back) is called a ________
4. Scalded skin syndrome is caused by exotoxins (exfoliatins) produced by ________
5. Which of the following microorganisms causes scarlet fever?
6. The pus-producing skin infection (pyoderma) can be caused by ________
a combination of staphylococci, streptococci, and corynebacteria.
All of the above
7. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of impetigo?
It is common in children.
It can be caused by Staphylococcus aureus.
It can be caused by Streptococcus pyogenes.
It is highly contagious.
It can be caused by pseudomonads.
8. What bacteria can multiply in blocked skin pores, metabolize sebum, and lead to the development of acne?
Acne is not caused by a bacterial infection.
9. Burn patients often develop a nosocomial infection caused by ________
10. Koplik’s spots develop during infection with ________
11. Inflammation of the eye conjunctiva (bacterial conjunctivitis) can be caused by _______
All of the above
12. Gas gangrene is most likely associated with infection with _______
13. Hyperbaric oxygen may be useful in treating infections caused by _______
14. What is the leading cause of preventable blindness in the world?
15. The disease shingles is caused by the same virus that causes ________
16. When is antibiotic used to treat the eyes of newborn infants?
The mother has gonorrhea.
The mother has genital herpes.
Neisseria gonorrhoeae is isolated from the newborn’s eyes.
Antibiotic is always used.
The mother has a history of multiple sex partners.
17. The virus used to immunize individuals against smallpox causes ________
18. Human papillomavirus causes ________
19. Tumorlike, light pink painless growths on the skin are probably the result of infection with ________
molluscum contagiosum virus.
20. Ringworm infection caused by Tinea can cause infections of the ________
All of the above
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level or professional level, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document.
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension.A 100% refund is guaranteed.
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text.
Tutorpro support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
At Tutorpro, we have top rated masters and PhD writers who will help you tacke that homework and score A+ grade. Tutorpro services covers all levels of education : high school, college, university undergraduate, masters and PhD academic level.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Tutorpro academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.