Week 1 dq1
“HCOs” Please respond to the following:
- Should the text have started with, “Building healthy communities is the focus of HCOs, including patient care but going well beyond”? Explain your answer.
- Examine the major components of the U.S. health care system to determine where the greatest opportunity for improvement exists.
- Provide examples of some of the “going well beyond” activities.
Week 1 dq2
“Transformational Management” Please respond to the following:
- Why do high-performing HCOs strive for transformational styles?
- Propose ways that accountability can be achieved in high-performing, transformational HCOs.
- How comfortable would you be working in a high-performing, transformational organization?
- Compare and contrast how political, economic, and social forces have influenced changes in the United States’ healthcare system.
Week 2 dq1
“Leadership” Please respond to the following:
- Explain and defend your views on each of the following statements:
o “Managers do not give orders.”
o “Managers do not make decisions.”
o “Managers spend a lot of time listening.”
o “The governing board’s calendar ultimately forces a decision.”
o “Imagination is an important managerial skill.”
Week 2 dq2
“Operational Leadership” Please respond to the following:
- Create a scenario that depicts how a first-line leader should act to fulfill the purpose and functions of operational leadership in his or her area.
- Determine how the senior leadership team knows that it has fulfilled the purpose and function of operational leadership well.
- How do individual senior leaders evaluate their own contribution?
Week 3 dq1
“Governance” Please respond to the following:
- Should every community have its own healthcare organization with its own mission, or should hospitals be like Wal-Mart, where the mission is set once for the world? State your position.
- If there is a virtue to individual community missions, determine what is it, and how a local governing board should establish a mission.
Week 3 dq2
(This video looks at some different outcome measures and the fact that the issue is not only having outcomes, but being able to apply them to patient care. )
“Clinical Performance” Please respond to the following:
- Why should clinical performance be focused on outcomes?
- How do you differentiate the concepts of quality, appropriateness, economy, and efficiency?
- Analyze the way that medical decisions are made and explain why it is important that medical decisions involve probabilities.
Health Outcomes Measurement in Orthopedic Hospital
Week 4 dq1
“Physician Relationships” Please respond to the following:
- The traditional model of hospital privileges and fee-for-service practice can be described as a partnership, a sharing of responsibility between the physician and the institution. Examine what each party does in this partnership to contribute to the partnership, and what each expects to get from it.
- Assess how this partnership between the physician and the healthcare organization is changing in the 21st century.
Week 4 dq2
“Nursing” Please respond to the following:
- In view of a national nursing shortage and inadequate numbers of nursing faculty for increasing enrollments, determine the recommendations would you make to ensure an adequate supply of nurses in your organization.
- Evaluate the key nursing performance measures by which a healthcare organization may monitor nursing effectiveness.
Week 5 dq1
“Clinical Support Services” Please respond to the following:
- Patient scheduling is often an issue that involves several Clinical Support Services (CSSs). Some CSSs must be scheduled in specific sequence, requiring the patient to be moved from place to place. Delays should be minimized, but service times are not always predictable. Propose ways that an excellent organization would address these scheduling problems.
- Illustrate the primary role of the managers in Clinical Support Services in providing and improving quality patient care.
Week 5 dq2
“Approach to Clinical Support Services” Please respond to the following:
- A small hospital in a well-managed healthcare system can consider three ways to obtain clinical support services: “stand alone” (hire its own healthcare professionals); “outsource” (buy services from local providers); and “affiliate” (arrange for training, procedures, and supervision through its system). Determine how the organization should come to a decision regarding which approach to providing CSSs is preferable.
- Who should be involved in that decision?
- Assess the primary performance measure used to evaluate the effectiveness of CSSs.
“Acute Care” Please respond to the following:
- Evaluate how need, demand, quality, and customer (patient) satisfaction for prevention and non-acute services are measured.
- How should these performance outcomes data be used in managerial decision making to improve patient care services?
week 6 disscusion 2
“Community Health” Please respond to the following:
- Explain whether or not you believe a community hospital should promote health, disease prevention, and chronic disease management when these efforts will lead to a loss of revenue for inpatient care and complex treatments. Support your answer.
- Propose how you would present this case to a governing board.
“Performance Measure” Please respond to the following:
- A clinic service wants to add a new performance measure that deals with service delay –the number of minutes after patient arrival that a given event occurs. Create three questions that should be asked about the clinic service’s proposed performance measure. Provide a rationale for each question.
- Determine if this request to add a new performance measure should be taken to the Definitions and Standards Committee. Support your answer.
- Identify three (3) electronic bibliographic resources that a clinic service manger could use to identify the performance parameters upon which this proposed performance measure would be based.
week 7 diss 2
“Customer Loyalty” Please respond to the following:
- Evaluate the concept used by human resource managers that worker loyalty promotes customer loyalty.
- Create two scenarios in which worker loyalty may not promote customer loyalty
“Growing and Aging Community” Please respond to the following:
- To accommodate a rapidly growing and aging community, it is necessary to expand capacity for long-term care by constructing a new hospital wing. Rate the primary health concerns for this patient population.
- Evaluate how your expansion plan and design would meet this population’s medical needs and improve patient satisfaction.
“Mercy Hospital” Please respond to the following:
- At Mercy Hospital, the clinical service line managers have improved their internal operations, but the total cost is still substantially above benchmark. Imagine that you are the financial manager. Describe how you would respond if a clinical service line reports that it is unable to improve its costs next year because the burden of transfer charges and allocated overhead are too great.
- Determine the performance measure that Mercy should use to evaluate the effectiveness of the clinical service line managers from a financial management perspective.
week 9 discussion
“Budgeting” Please respond to the following:
- Imagine that you are planning a two-hour initial discussion about budgeting and capital purchases for newly appointed first-line supervisors. Determine the topics you would include and explain why.
- Describe the three primary health care provider taxonomies, including the classifications for each taxonomy.
week 9 disscussion 2
“Competing Hospitals” Please respond to the following:
- A competing hospital applies to the local zoning board to open a new hospital in a rapidly growing affluent part of town. Determine what information senior management will want from the planning and consulting department and why.
- Assess the performance measures by which senior management will evaluate the effectiveness of the planning and consulting department regarding the department’s role in the justification of the new hospital.
“Marketing Strategy” Please respond to the following:
- Imagine that your organization is seeking a marketing strategy to promote the development and implementation of a well-baby program. Create questions that will address the “Four Ps” of marketing, namely, product, place, price, and promotion.
- Select the technology and information resources you would need to research the marketing strategy for the well-baby program from a managerial perspective.
week 10 disscussion 2
“Listening” Please respond to the following:
- Evaluate how listening affects a performance improvement team designing a major physical facility renovation in a healthcare organization.
- Examine the relationship between strategic positioning and improved market performance.
week 11 discussion
“Course Conclusion” Please respond to the following:
- You have just completed 10 weeks of the health services organization management course. Imagine you have been asked to create a one-day training course highlighting the important elements you have learned about in the past 10 weeks.
- Create a hierarchy of five (no more or no less) of the most important topics that you feel need to be addressed in this one-day course that best fits the course title of “Health Services Organization Management: The Essentials Presented in One Day.” Give a detailed rationale for each of the five topics.
week 11 dis 2
“Course Summary” Please respond to the following:
- Discuss how you can apply the learning outcomes of this course to your professional and personal life.
- Using 140 characters or less (the length of a Tweet), summarize the importance of this class to someone unfamiliar with the concepts.